Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Potential Gopher Football Coaches

I've been preaching patience with Tim Brewster for the longest time now, I thought that it was only fair to hold off on judging him until we could see what he does with the players he recruited on the field.  Well, after loses to powerhouses South Dakota and Norther Illinois I have finally run out of patience.  He should be further along now in year 4 of his tenure to beat those teams.   The Big Ten season starts Saturday and I really don't see them beating anybody left on their schedule (maybe Purdue?).   So, in summary, I think it's time, he needs to go.  The question then becomes who replaces him?  The way I see it, I'd want someone with a proven track record of success as a head coach at the Division I level, someone who will not want to run the spread offense (I just don't see it working in the Big Ten) & someone who will not be looking to dump them the first time he gets an offer for a better job.

Here's my list (in my order of preference):
  1. Al Golden - Temple (he may be in line to replace Joe Paterno though)
  2. Chris Peterson - Boise St (probably a pipe dream but money talks, show him the money)
  3. Greg Shiano - Rutgers (probably another pipe dream but again, money talks)
  4. Jeff Jagodzinski - formerly head coach at Boston College, worth looking into 
  5. Randy Edsall - Connecticut (he built UConn into a competitive program)
  6. David Cutcliffe - Duke Head Coach (54-44 at Duke)
  7. Phillip Fulmer - formerly head coach at Tennessee (152-52 at Tennessee)
  8. Frank Solich - Ohio Head Coach (90-50 career record @ Nebraska & Ohio)
  9. Brady Hoke - San Diego St Head Coach (38-46 career record but a history of rebuilding teams)
Others that my be possibilities but should be considered long shots:
  1. Tony Dungy - Gopher alum, long time NFL head coach
  2. Mark Richt - Current Head Coach at Georgia, if Georgia doesn't bring him back that is
  3. Les Miles - Current Head Coach at LSU, if LSU doesn't bring him back
  4. Kevin Sumlin - Houston Head Coach (he runs the spread though)
  5. Mike Leach - formerly Head Coach at Texas Tech (he ran the spread)
  6. Gary Patterson - TCU Head Coach (he also runs the spread)
  7. Jerry Kill - Northern Illinois (118-71 career record @ 4 schools, another spread guy)   

    No comments:

    Post a Comment