Saturday, September 4, 2010

Cardinals release Matt Leinart

The Arizona Cardinals released Matt Leinart today.  I'm really not too surprised, a little disappointed yes but surprised no.  He was just never a Ken Whisenhunt guy.  I'm really not sure why, maybe the fact that he was drafted by Dennis Green, maybe he didn't have the arm strength Whisenhunt likes, maybe the accuracy wasn't there, maybe it was the work ethic/off field stuff, I really don't know.  From my perspective, he was never given much of a chance to prove himself, you'd think they'd give somebody drafted in the top 10 a chance at some point, but I really didn't see it happen.  Granted, I'm an outsider, Whisenhunt is not, he saw him practice, saw him throw, saw his interactions with his teammates, I guess his judgment will have to do and to his credit it has been pretty good so far.  Perhaps a change of scenery will do Leinart some good. 

This leaves the Cardinals with Derek Anderson as their starter.  I hope they're prepared for some pretty erratic QB play as Anderson has been absolutely miserable the last couple of years with Cleveland.  This also leaves them with 2 rookies at the 2 (Max Hall) and 3 (John Skelton) QB spots, that should be cause for concern. All reports about Hall have been absolutely glowing this training camp still it seems very risky to me to go with an undrafted rookie as the back up QB.   Skelton showed promise too, but he's obviously very far away from contributing.  It wouldn't shock me if they sign a veteran backup QB at some point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment