Wednesday, April 2, 2014

TPSG Top 10 Movies of 2001

Continuing with my look at the best movies of years gone by.

Top 10 Movies of 2001:
  1. A Beautiful Mind - Russell Crowe, Jennifer Connelly
  2. Training Day - Denzel Washington, Ethan Hawke
  3. Black Hawk Down - Josh Hartnett, Ewan McGregor
  4. Mulholland Drive - Naomi Watts, Laura Harring
  5. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings - Elijah Wood, Orlando Bloom
  6. Hannibal - Anthony Hopkins, Julianne Moore
  7. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Ziyi Zhang, Yun-Fat Chow
  8. Sexy Beast - Ben Kingsley, Ray Winstone
  9. Snatch - Brad Pitt, Jason Statham
  10. The Fast and the Furious - Vin Diesel, Paul Walker 

"A Beautiful Mind" might just be Ron Howard's best movie, it's a tremendous film.  Speaking of best work, "Training Day" is without a doubt my favorite Denzel Washington film, he makes a great villain in this one.  "Black Hawk Down" is one of the best military movies that I've ever seen, great acting, great direction from Ridley Scott, based upon a true story, action galore, I highly recommend.  That Naomi Watts/Laura Harring scene from "Mulholland Drive" is still etched into my memory, great movie too.  "The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings" won 4 Oscars and had 9 additional nominations, they deserved everyone of them too, it's just a visually stunning film that is wonderfully directed by Peter Jackson.  While not on par with "The Silence of the Lambs", I was thoroughly entertained by "Hannibal".  I don't know how anyone cannot be terrified by Anthony Hopkins' Hannibal Lechter.   The special effects alone in "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" made this one worth watching, they are spectacular.  "Sexy Beast" is a brutal film about aging gangsters, it also has a terrific cast.  "Snatch" was my first exposure to Guy Ritchie, after watching this one I understood what all the hype was about, it's a lot of fun.  I know, "The Fast and the Furious" was no cinematic masterpiece but I quite enjoyed it, it was fast paced, it was full of action, the interplay between the late Paul Walker and Vin Diesel was fun to watch, I was pleasantly surprised by it.


 Previous Years:  201320122011201020092008200720062005200420032002

No comments:

Post a Comment