Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Rick Adelman Retires

Did you catch the news?  The Timberwolves are looking for a new head coach. 

Here's my list of the Top 10 Candidates to replace Rick Adelman:
  1. Fred Hoiberg 
  2. Billy Donovan
  3. Tom Izzo   
  4. Jeff Van Gundy
  5. Lionel Hollins 
  6. Stan Van Gundy
  7. George Karl 
  8. Flip Saunders
  9. Jerry Sichting 
  10. Tom Thibodeau
Flip Saunders has stated that he wants someone with head coaching experience, college or pro.  He wants someone who will command the respect of the team immediately.   Pretty much everyone on the above list fits that criteria.  Fred Hoiberg would be my ideal choice, he's been a successful head coach at Iowa State, he's played in the NBA, he has front office experience with the Timberwolves, I doubt that he'll leave Ames though, he owns that town.  Billy Donovan would be next on my list, he seems ready for a new challenge, he's still young, he's had success, he innovative, not much to not like.  Next on my list would be Tom Izzo, he and Flip Saunders are tight, he has a great track record, I have no doubt that his coaching ability would translate to the pro game.  Of those with pro coaching experience, Jeff Van Gundy would be my top choice, I don't really see him leaving the broadcasting booth though, that's too good of a gig.  I'm a big Lionel Hollins fan going back to his days with the Suns, he seems to have gotten a raw deal with Memphis, I'd welcome him as the next coach.  Stan Van Gundy would be next on my list, he had a nice run with the Magic, I think he'd be a fine choice.  George Karl has a fantastic track record and would bring tons of credibility, I'm not sure if there is a desire on his part to coach the Timberwolves though.  Flip has to be on the list too, I hope he doesn't go that direction though, I'm not a big fan of GM/Head Coaching combo's.  Jerry Sichting would be the only assistant I'd put on the list, he's been around the pro game forever and has worked for some of the best, I think he's just needing an opportunity.  Tom Thibodeau is a long shot, he'd have to get fired by the Bulls for this to happen, and if they lose in the first round of the playoffs that could conceivably happen, don't count on it though. 

In the end, as a betting man, I say put your money on Stan Van Gundy or Lionel Hollins. 

No comments:

Post a Comment