Saturday, January 18, 2014

Vikings Hire Mike Zimmer

I know, old news, but I just wanted to voice my opinion on the Vikings Mike Zimmer hire.  I love it!  Zimmer is the guy that I have wanted the Vikings to hire ever since they fired Leslie Frazier.  I didn't want a retread coach or the some hot new flavor of the day, I wanted someone who had earned it, someone who lives for football, someone with a track record of success, someone who commands the locker room, someone well respected by everyone from players, to former players, to fans, to fellow coaches.  Mike Zimmer has all of those attributes and more, he was long overdue for a head coaching opportunity and I am so glad that it's the Vikings who are the ones who are giving him that opportunity. 

The hiring of Norv Turner as the Viking's Offensive Coordinator only strengthens my opinion of the Zimmer hire.  I've wanted the Vikes to blow things up for awhile now, they seem to have been a really bland, predictable team on both sides of the ball going all the way back to the Brad Childress era.  That really needed to change, what better way to to that then to bring in a coaching staff that will play an aggressive, attacking defense and bringing in an offensive coach who preaches a vertical passing attack that stretches the field (as opposed to the dink and dunk approach of Childress/Frazier)?

Does any of this sound familiar?  To me, it's sounding a lot like what the Arizona Cardinals did last year.  Bruce Arians was a well respected, long time assistant who was long overdue for a head coaching job when the Cardinals hired him.  Like Zimmer, he's also a tough, no-nonsense guy who is not afraid to tell it like it is.  The Cardinals also brought in a vertical passing attack and an aggressive attacking defense.  They won 10 games last year.  I'd be thrilled if the Vikings end results are similar.   

Well done Rick Spielman! 



No comments:

Post a Comment