Monday, May 27, 2013

Phoenix Suns Hire Jeff Hornacek

The Phoenix Suns have hired Jeff Hornacek as their head basketball coach.  Let me start by saying that I'm very happy for Jeff Hornacek, I was a big fan of his during his time as a player, he was always the epitome of class and professionalism.  I have mixed thoughts on this hire though. 

On one hand, there is no doubt that Hornacek knows the game of basketball, he knows the NBA, he also played under a couple of the best in Jerry Sloan and Cotton Fitzsimmons, he was also a fan favorite here in Arizona.  Karl Malone also once called him the smartest NBA player ever, that's high praise coming from one of the best players in the history of the NBA. So he does have a lot going for him. 

On the other hand though, I can't help but wonder about his ability to motivate and discipline his players.  He just always seemed so mild mannered.  You can't help but wonder if he can really get the most out of his players.  Can he push the right buttons?  I honestly don't know on both counts.  I hope I'm wrong, I would love to see him succeed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment