Saturday, November 27, 2010

Minnesota 27, Iowa 24

What a nice way to finish the season for the Gophers, knocking off arch rival Iowa 27-24 and taking back Floyd of Rosedale.  Jeff Horton did a very nice job as interim coach, leading the Gophers to 2 victories to end the season.  It just goes to show that there is some talent on this roster, they just need better coaching to bring it out.  The Gophers finish the year 3-9 (2-6 in the Big Ten), I don't think anybody saw that coming, hopefully next year will bring better things with a new coach.  Observations?   1) The Gophers were really hyped up for this one, much more so than Iowa, their sideline looked electric.  2) Good to see Adam Weber go out with a win, I can't say that I'll miss him though, I think he was actually holding them back much of his time at Minnesota.  From everything I've heard about him though, he was a great teammate and person.  2) MarQueis Gray looked very good running out of the Wildcat formation, I wouldn't mind seeing the new coach run some sort of version of the Spread or Pistol offense next season so that they can take advantage of some of his talents.  3) Gary Tinsley has really improved since the beginning of the season, he was all over the field.  4) Expect the coaching search to really heat up with most teams completing their seasons this weekend, I wouldn't be surprised if they have a new coach within the next couple weeks (if not sooner).  Most of the attention this past week has centered on 5 candidates (Brady Hoke-San Diego St, Al Golden-Temple, Randy Edsall-UConn, Troy Calhoun-Air Force & Dan Mullen-Mississippi St), all of them are quality candidates, none of them knock my socks off though.  Of those 5, I'd rate them Mullen, Golden, Hoke, Edsall, Calhoun.  Late steam seems to be centered on Hoke, I won't be shocked if he get's the job. 5) I'm guessing the new coach will bring his own assistants with him but if he did choose to keep some of the current Gophers assistants, I wouldn't be upset by it (specifically Jeff Horton, Steve Watson & Thomas Hammock).  6) Off to the basketball team for Bryant Allen.

No comments:

Post a Comment