Sunday, May 2, 2010

AZ Senate Bill 1070

Being that I am a resident of the state of Arizona I think that it's only fitting that I chime in on the recently passed AZ Senate Bill 1070.  Let me start out by saying that I'm not a fan, it's overreaching and gestapoesque.  The idea of somebody needing to have "documents/papers" on themselves to prove their citizenship is asinine. That having been said, the national outcry and rhetoric about the law is getting a bit out of hand.  First of all, it never should have gotten to this point.  Immigration is a federal issue, not a state issue, had the federal government taken action on this we wouldn't be where we are right now.  How long should the state of Arizona have to wait for the federal government to take action?  Secondly, why should we care what somebody in the mid-west thinks of the law?  We here in Arizona are on the front lines of this issue, we see the negative impact of illegal immigration on a first hand basis everyday.  Let people across the country experience the same negative effects and then maybe I'll care what they think.  Next, I highly doubt that this bill will ever be enforced anyways, various lawsuits will be submitted, I assume a court someplace will issue an injunction and will eventually rule that it is not enforceable.  Lastly, I find it very unlikely that a Latino walking down the street is going to be picked up for "looking like an illegal immigrant" as has been depicted by much of the media, there does also need to be some "reasonable cause" and looking Latino is not "reasonable cause".   To sum up, I don't like the law as written but I do see the need for action to be taken, hopefully this law will serve as an impetus for a more reasoned well thought out law at the federal level.

No comments:

Post a Comment