Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Viking Draft Thoughts

Just some quick Vikings thoughts going into this week's draft.

Round 1 could go any number of directions.  

Personally, in my ideal draft scenario, Iowa OT/OG Brandon Scherff is still available at number 11 and he is the Vikings pick.  It just makes too much sense.  Let me count the reasons:  1) Given his versatility he is one of the safest picks in this draft, outside of Center you can pretty much plug him into any spot on the OL.  2) He's a beast, just watch his film.  3) With the release of Charlie Johnson, there's a gaping hole at OG on the Vikings offensive line.  4) If Matt Kalil continues to struggle at OT, you could eventually swing Scherff outside to that OT spot.  5) The NFL is a copy cat league and after watching how much of an impact Zach Martin had on the Cowboys last year, other teams, including the Vikings, had to take note.  6) The Vikings OL was putrid last year, they desperately need an upgrade.  7) They really need to keep Teddy Bridgewater upright and healthy.  Of course this could all be a moot point should another team (Giants? Rams?) grabs Scherff before the Vikings have a chance to nab him at number 11 overall.  If Scherff is gone, I wouldn't expect the Vikings to take a different offensive lineman at number 11, I just don't feel they value anyone else highly enough to pick them that at that point (if they trade down though I could see them looking closely at La'el Collins out of LSU).  I would also be a big fan of selecting South Carolina OG A.J. Cann in round 2 (given that they don't select Scherff in round 1).  

If Scherff is gone at number 11, I'm guessing they look at CB's and WR's.  If either Amari Cooper or Kevin White slide to them, they'd be hard to pass on.  I'm guessing that doesn't happen though.  Which brings us to CB, the top 2 CB's should still be on the board at this point so I'm guessing that is the direction the Vikings will go.  It's just a matter of which is the better fit between Trea Waynes and Marcus Peters.  The opinions on Waynes seem to vary quite a bit, some love him, some not so much.  Peters looks like the better player to me but he has some red flags.  Either one would look nice at CB opposite of Xavier Rhodes though.  

Elsewhere? 

The Vikings are set for years to come at QB with Teddy Bridgewater.  Backup Shaun Hill looks like he's on his last legs though and they really don't have a third QB of note.  I could see the Vikings picking a late round QB to groom, perhaps someone like Sean Mannion or Chris Bonner.

At RB it all depends upon how the Adrian Peterson situation shakes out.  Personally, unless they get an offer they cannot refuse, I hope they hold on to Peterson.  A 3rd or 4th round draft pick is just not adequate compensation for someone who is still one of the best players in the NFL and would not make them a better team over the next season or two.  If he's not traded, as is appearing likely, I don't see the Vikings adding a another RB.  If, on the other hand, they do trade Peterson, I could very much see the Vikings drafting another RB.  Matt Asiata is a fine backup but as a starter he has his limitations.  Jerick McKinnon looked good as a rookie but I'm not convinced that he can stand up the pounding of being a three down RB, in which case I could see the Vikings look hard at Jay Ajayi, T.J. Yeldon, David Johnson or David Cobb.

If the Vikings don't select a WR in round 1, I still think they grab one at some point.  Mike Wallace was a nice addition but the jury is still out on Cordarelle Patterson.  Jarius Wright is a nice slot WR and Charles Johnson showed a lot of promise but neither really strikes much fear into anyone.  Personally, I would not be opposed to them taking a chance on Dorial Green-Beckham if he's available to them in round 2 or 3.  After watching him destroy Arizona State, I'm also a big Nelson Agholor fan.   

With Kyle Rudolph, Chase Ford and Rhett Ellison already on board, I doubt that the Vikings draft at TE, although a late round sleeper like Blake Bell isn't out of the realm of possibility.  


While the Vikings defensive line could use a few minor upgrades, I think the Vikings have more pressing concerns.  Hopefully, Scott Crichton can up his game in year 2 too.  

At LB, outside of Anthony Barr, the Vikings have a lot of question marks.  Chad Greenway will be back for one last season but he's not nearly the player he once was.  Gerald Hodges and Audie Cole showed some signs of life last year, but an upgrade at LB has to be on their agenda.  I doubt that Dante Fowler Jr falls to them but there is a chance that Vic Beasley does and if he does it wouldn't surprise me if the Vikings nab him.  A Barr-Beasley LB combination would be as athletic as any in football.  

The last spot I would expect the Vikings to address would be the free safety spot.  Robert Blanton held this spot most of last season but his play left a bit to be desired.  Andrew Sendejo got some time at the FS spot too, I really like how he plays but I'm not sure if he's an every down player.  Antone Exum could possibly grow into this spot but he didn't put any claim in on it last season.  A guy I would really like to see the Vikings pick up in the middle rounds is Cedric Thompson from Minnesota, I have seen pretty much every game he has played and I just love his game, he's highly underrated.  

No comments:

Post a Comment