Saturday, January 26, 2013

Diamondbacks Trade Justin Upton

The Diamondbacks continue to confound me.  How do you trade away your best player, a 25 year old slugger with a team friendly contract no less, plus a serviceable infielder, for a utility player, a back of the rotation starter and a few middling prospects?  Shouldn't Justin Upton be the cornerstone you build around?  I will not go as far as to say that Prado and Delgado won't help the Diamondbacks next year but they are hardly what I'd call impact type players.  IMO, the team that obtains the best player wins the deal, in this case that would be the Braves

On a side note, I really have no clue what the Diamondbacks plan is anymore, they've been all over the map this offseason.  They've now traded away their best MLB player and their best minor league prospect and I don't know that they've improved themselves now or going forward.  I also question whether they maximized their return in either of those deals, they seemed to do a pretty good job of devaluing both before trading them.  The only thing I can come up with is that they are taking the 'moneyball' approach to building a team and are perhaps trying to create some payroll flexibility going forward.  All I know for sure is that I'm starting to lose faith in Kevin Towers


Trade:
Diamondbacks receive:  Martin Prado, Randall Delgado, Nick Ahmed, Zeke Spruill & Brandon Drury.
Braves receive:  Justin Upton, Chris Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment