Saturday, January 19, 2013

Cardinals Hire Bruce Arians

The Arizona Cardinals hired Bruce Arians as their head coach yesterday.  I have some mixed feelings on this hire.  On one hand, I've heard nothing but glowing reports about him, he seems highly respected by just about everyone he has dealt with.  On the other hand, it also means the departure of Ray Horton and I'm a big fan of Ray Horton, I think he's one of the better young up and coming coaches in the NFL and I fear they may one day regret this decision.  Another thing that makes me a bit weary is that Arians favors an offense that is not all that dissimilar to the one that of Ken Whisenhunt ran and we all know how that turned out.  In the end though, I can understand the decision, they really had to go with an offensive guy, the offense last year was horrendous and something needed to done on that side of the ball.  As I understand it, Arians will be calling his own plays on offense, that's probably a good thing too as he has hired Harold Goodwin as his Offensive Coordinator.  Goodwin was the OL coach with the Colts last year, he has no experience running an NFL offense.  Defensively, I'm hoping they don't change things up too much, the personnel and schemes were not the problem last year, the lack of offense was the problem.  Reports have it that Todd Bowles will get the DC spot, he was the Eagles DC last year, I would hope that he doesn't change things up too much.  I'm going to give the Cardinals the benefit of the doubt and hope for the best (although that rumored Horton as head coach, Norv Turner as OC and Mike Tice as OL coach combo would have been my preference if it was truly an option). 

No comments:

Post a Comment