Thursday, July 5, 2012

Suns Thoughts

Just a few thoughts on the Suns off season to this point:
  • Steve Nash dealt to the Lakers.  I had resigned myself to the fact that Nash wasn't going to be back and I think that is the right move for the franchise moving forward.  What I am have some trouble with is that the Suns dealt him to their arch-rival Los Angeles Lakers.  WTF are they doing helping out the Lakers?  I don't care if Nash wanted to play there or not you do not trade away your 2 time NBA MVP to your arch-rival!!!   They essentially gave him away too, 2 first round picks (which will probably be in the mid/late 20's) and 2 second round picks.  I just don't get it. 
  • Goran Dragic signed as a free agent.  I like this move, I thought that it was a big mistake to deal him away in the first place.  I suspect that he will be the starting point guard come the start of the year.  
  • Michael Beasley signed as a free agent.  I'm a Beasley fan, I think the Timberwolves made a mistake not bringing him back.  If he's healthy and his head is in the right place, he will have no trouble averaging 20+ ppg in Alvin Gentry's offense.  
  • Kendall Marshall drafted in round 1 of the NBA Draft.  Knowing Nash wasn't going to be back and not knowing at that time if they could bring back Dragic, I think this was the only way they could have gone.  I suspect Dragic will be the starting point guard but Marshall will provide good depth and in time could unseat him.  I really don't see the downside (unless you are Sebastian Telfair).  
  • They've still got to do something about their off guard spot.  They signed the Hornet's Eric Gordon to an offer sheet but I highly suspect that New Orleans will match it.  I wouldn't be opposed to Michael Redd being brought back, he actually played pretty good last year and I think that he'd like to be back (especially given the success the Suns training staff has had at lengthening careers) .  Shannon Brown played well in spots too, I see him more as a bench/rotation guy though, not as a starter.  
  • I suspect that Grant Hill is gone too.  I love him as a player and person, it just seems time, the Suns need to start over (plus they already have Beasley, Dudley and Childress to play SF). 

No comments:

Post a Comment