Saturday, February 25, 2012

2012 Academy Award Predictions

The Academy Awards are tomorrow night, Billy Crystal will host.

Here are my predictions:

Best Picture
   Who I think should win:  Moneyball
   Who I think will win:  The Artist
    ***Actual winner=The Artist***

Best Actor

   Who I think should win:  George Clooney/The Descendants
   Who I think will win:  Jean Dujardin/The Artist
    ***Actual winner=Jean Dujardin/The Artist***

Best Actress
   Who I think should win:  Rooney Mara/The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
   Who I think will win:  Meryl Streep/The Iron Lady
   ***Actual winner=Meryl Streep/The Iron Lady***

Best Supporting Actor
   Who I think should win:  Jonah Hill/Moneyball
   Who I think will win:  Christopher Plummer/Beginners
   ***Actual winner=Christopher Plummer/Beginners***

Best Supporting Actress
   Who I think should win:  Melissa McCarthy/Bridesmaids
   Who I think will win:  Octavia Spencer/The Help
   ***Actual winner=Octavia Spencer/The Help***

Animated Feature Film
   Who I think should win:  Rango
   Who I think will win:  Rango
   ***Actual winner=Rango***

Cinematography
   Who I think should win:  War Horse
   Who I think will win:  War Horse
   ***Actual winner=Hugo***

Director

   Who I think should win:  Martin Scorsese/Hugo
   Who I think will win:  Martin Scorsese/Hugo
   ***Actual winner=Michael Hazanavicius/The Artist*** 

For the record, I thought that The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was easily the best movie of 2011, how it's not nominated for Best Picture is beyond me.

One last thing, if there's a category for animated movies, why isn't there also a categories for comedies?   Comedies always get short shrift at the Oscars.    I can certainly think of 5-6 very funny movies from 2011 (Bridesmaids, Cedar Rapids, Bad Teacher, Horrible Boses, Crazy Stupid Love & The Muppets come to mind).

***Edited to add the actual winners.  I picked 6 of the 8 categories I selected correct BTW, including the all of the big 5 awards, not bad if I do say so myself***

No comments:

Post a Comment