Friday, December 9, 2011

ASU Football Coaching Search 2.0

What a clusterfuck of a search for a football coach by Arizona State, they look like a bunch of freaking amateurs.  Hopefully, they don't screw things up too badly and end up pushing the program into a downward spiral.  At this point, I fear they've scared off any remaining big name candidates (unless those ASU boosters decide to put their money where their mouths are, which I tend to doubt will happen).  My preference is still that they find somebody with some head coaching experience, I really don't want them to hire an unproven commodity (isn't that what the MAC and Mountain West are for afterall?).

I really don't understand the problem the boosters had with June Jones, he has a proven track record as a head coach at the collegiate level, he's as innovative as they come, he's a good recruiter, I think they missed the boat on that one.

Anyways, looking at coaches with some head coaching experience who may not yet be scared away, they could still pull off a good hire.  Some of the names that I've heard that are still in play include Jim Leavitt, Mike Bellotti, Troy Calhoun and Paul Rhodes.  I could live with any of those.

I fear they may have no choice but to hire a top assistant coach though and then hope for the best, someone like Justin Wilcox, Paul Chryst, Mark Helfrich or Dan Cozetto.  How they sell those guys to recruits is beyond me though.  Take a recruit like D.J. Foster from Scottsdale for example, he's reportedly choosing between Oregon and ASU, how does he choose to play for a guy like say Mark Helfrich when he could play for Helfrich's mentor Chip Kelly at Oregon?  How do these guys even compete with Rich Rodriguez down at Arizona?  Or Lane Kiffen at USC or Mike Leach at Texas Tech or ....?  You get the picture.  Going this direction is just a recipe for disaster IMO. 

I'm hoping for Jim Leavitt or Mike Bellotti at this point but I'm not optimistic.  Whoever they hire, they had better do it soon if they want to salvage their current recruiting class (and add some quality players to it).

No comments:

Post a Comment