Saturday, February 26, 2011

TPSG Academy Award Predictions

The 2011 Academy Awards are tomorrow night, here are my predictions:


Best Picture
The way I see it this one comes down to "The King's Speech" or "The Social Network" and the best film that I saw last year was "The Social Network" so I'm going with that film to win this one.  My long shot pick would be "Toy Story 3", I'm just not sure that an animated film will get the nod. 

Best Actor
There seems to be some late steam around Javier Bardem for "Biutiful", but I have to believe that Colin Firth is a lock for his performance in "The King's Speech", I predict that he'll win this one.  My long shot pick here would be Jess Eisenberg for "The Social Network", his portrayal of Mark Zuckerberg was excellent.   

Best Actress
This one seems to be between Natalie Portman for "Black Swan" and Annette Benning for "The Kids Are All Right".   Natalie Portman probably should win it but I'm guessing Annette Benning will get the nod for her body of work (that seems to be how the Oscar's work).   My long shot pick here is Jennifer Lawrence for her performance in "Winter's Bone". 

Best Supporting Actor
I think this one comes down to Christian Bale for his work on "The Fighter" and Geoffrey Rush for his work on "The King's Speech".  I'll go with Christian Bale, the steam on him is pretty heavy.  Jeremy Renner for his performance in "The Town" may also stand an outside shot. 

Best Supporting Actress
This is a tough one, it should go to Hailee Steinfeld for "True Grit" but I'm thinking she'll be seen as too much of a newcomer.  I predict that Amy Adams get's the nod for her work on "The Fighter".


Others:

Best Animated Film - Toy Story 3
Art Direction - Alice in Wonderland
Cinematography - Inception
Costume Design - Alice in Wonderland
Director - David Fincher for "The Social Network"
Documentary - Restrepo
Original Score - The Social Network
Visual Effects - Inception
Writing (Adapted Screenplay) - Aaron Sorkin for "The Social Network"
Writing (Original Screenplay) - Lisa Cholodenko & Stuart Blumberg for "The Kids Are All Right"


****Edit 02/28/2011****
Winners can be found at this link.
I got 9 of my 15 predictions correct.  Not bad.

Reviews of the telecast are not good. 
Oscar winners and losers can be found here.
Best & Worst on the Red Carpet can be found here.
Razzy Award winners can be found at this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment