Thursday, April 4, 2013

Gophers Hire Richard Pitino

No, not the Rick Pitino, but the Gophers did hire his son Richard Pitino to coach their basketball team.  This hiring came out of nowhere, I hadn't even heard his name as a candidate until Wednesday.  He wasn't my first choice, I was honestly hoping for a bigger name (Shaka Smart, Brad Stephens, Flip Saunders, maybe Buzz Williams), but the more I hear about Pitino, the more I'm liking him.  He may be light on head coaching experience but he did a heckuva job in the one year he was head coach at FIU, he's been mentored by two of the best in the business (his father and Billy Donovan), he's young and eager and it sounds like he's not about to be outworked by anyone.  I think his schemes will go over well too (think Florida and Louisville), he likes to run a fast paced offense, you won't see a lot of slow, plodding half court sets out his teams, they also play aggressively on defense too, it'll be fun to watch.  I'm optimistic about this hire, I think it just may turn out okay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment