Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Cardinals Acquire Carson Palmer

Did you catch the news?  The Cardinals acquired QB Carson Palmer from the Raiders yesterday.  Bruce Arians has already named him the Cardinals starting QB for the upcoming season.  Tough luck Drew Stanton.  I like the move, I was getting a bit nervous with the thought of Drew Stanton starting this year.  Nothing against Stanton but he has absolutely no starting experience, he would have been a huge crapshot.  I also think that Palmer is a great fit in Arians offense, he's a big, strong armed QB, he can make all the throws and has an aura of gravitas about him that has been lacking on the Cardinals since Kurt Warner retired.  I know he's not the QB he used to be but I think he buys them some time to develop another young QB 2-4 years down the road.  Having Larry Fitzgerald and Michael Floyd to throw to will no doubt help him too.  Speaking of Fitzgerald, I have to suspect that he was probably the happiest player in the league when he heard the news, the Cardinals really struggled to get him the ball last year with their game of musical QB's.  I think the Cards have dramatically improved their QB situation over last year, they now have Palmer at starter, Stanton as backup, they still (at least for now) have Brian Hoyer as the third QB, that's a pretty solid group.  Gone are Kevin Kolb (to Buffalo) and John Skelton (released) and Ryan Lindley will need to fight for his job come training camp.  The big question now is the OL, they've surprisingly done very little so far this offseason to improve it, hopefully they can find some help in the draft.  Did you see my look at the QB situation from earlier this year BTW?  It wasn't far off.  Don't tell me I don't know football. 

No comments:

Post a Comment