Wednesday, April 15, 2015

ASU Hires Bobby Hurley

I know it's old news by now, but I wanted to weigh in on Arizona State's hiring of Bobby Hurley as head basketball coach.   Like most, I have a few concerns, but overall I really like this hire.  They really needed to hire a hardworking young guy to re-energize the program and they seem to have gotten just that in Bobby Hurley.  He's got name recognition that will get him in the door with most recruits (or their parents at least), he comes from a legendary coaching family, he turned Buffalo's basketball fortunes around in short order, he's got that Duke pedigree and he seems to have a real passion for the game.  The reception he has received so far has been very positive and gives me a lot of hope for the program moving forward.  Not that aren't some concerns though.  He's only been a head coach for 2 years, his coaching success was in the MAC, and he's an east coast guy without a lot of west coast recruiting ties.  Overall though, I'm very happy with this hire, I didn't want another retread.  On a side note, hopefully he has already reached out to Marvin Bagley III and Markus Howard, those 2 would be really nice building blocks for Hurley.


No comments:

Post a Comment